You’re looking for help
- because you are kept against your will in the country your parents came from
- because you are told to marry somebody against your will
- because someone took away your passport and your mobile phone
- because you are locked up and threatened somewhere abroad
Maybe there is help at hand!
On this website, you will find important information and ideas on how you can change your situation. Please note: Our possibility to support girls, who do not have the German nationality OR have/had a German residence permit is very limited.
Be discreet and don’t rush things!
Your safety is what is most important! Don’t do anything which can make your situation even more dangerous.
- Don’t get caught when you are secretly looking for help on your mobile or computer. Pay attention to our hints on how to browse anonymously
- Dress, behave and do what your family demands of you. Don’t quarrel with you family and do not let them find out that you are searching for help.
- Try to buy time. When you are supposed to get married, try to prevent or delay the wedding. Once you are married, you will not be able to leave some countries without your husband’s consent.
- Be patient – it can take weeks to organise your return.
- It’s important to plan well ahead when fleeing abroad. Wait until there is a really good opportunity.
- Never run away unprepared – this could endanger your life. For example, never go spontaneously to an embassy or to the local police. Your family could get hold of you or the authorities could send you back them. Such spontaneous actions could be the reason that you are under surveillance even more or get punished.
What you can do
You are in a very difficult situation, stuck abroad against your will. But don’t panic!
It is very important that you think about every step you take and read our tips on what to do. Every case is different, every country has different laws and only you can guess what your parents might do.
To help you to understand what steps might be helpful in your situation we have prepared an emergency plan on how to return. Take your time reading it and prepare yourself.